Horde is one of the webmail clients provided by us. It can be used to fetch (import) emails from another server. This article explains how you can set up a fetch mail account and import emails.
Logging into Horde
- Go to webmail at http://www.$DOMAIN/webmail where $DOMAIN is your domain name
- Log in with with the email address and the email password. NB: this is different to your cPanel login! If you cannot remember your email password, you can change it in cPanel.
- Choose the Horde program
Setting up a Fetch Mail Account in Horde
- Click on "MAIL" on the left side of the screen
- Click "OPTIONS" on the upper-right side of the screen
- Click "FETCH EMAIL" beneath the Message Options
- Click the link "Edit your preferences for accessing other mail accounts"
- Click "Create a New Account"
- Select "IMAP/POP3 Mail Servers" from the drop-down menu
- Enter the required details:
- Account Name: A name (can be anything you'd like to call it)
- Protocol: Use "POP3 (Auto Detect Protocol)" for one off imports or "IMAP (Auto Detect Protocol)" for repeated imports
- Username: The full email address you wish to fetch in format [email protected]
- Password: The email password for the email you wish to fetch
- Server: The server name or IP address
- Remote Mailbox: The folder name you wish to fetch, usually "Inbox"
- Local Mailbox: The folder into which emails should be imported. If you have not set up a specific folder, use "Inbox"
- Tick "Get only new messages" if using IMAP (does not apply to POP3)
- Tick "Mark messages as seen" if using IMAP (does not apply to POP3)
- Click "Create"
If you are importing emails as part of a server migration, use the IP address of your mail server as server. This will ensure that Horde fetches the emails from the correct server regardless of DNS changes. If you are unsure what your IP is, ping your mail server address.
For repeated imports, ensure to use "IMAP" as protocol and to tick the "get only new messages" and "mark messages as seen" boxes, otherwise emails will be duplicated upon import.
And if you'd like to keep the imported emails separate from your other mail, just set up a new folder in Horde before starting to fetch, and then choose the new folder in the "Local Mailbox" dropdown.
- Click "MAIL" on the left hand side of the screen
- Click the "FETCH EMAIL" button at the top of the screen
- Tick the the account(s) you want to fetch
- Click "FETCH MAIL"